Individual Assignment 1

Assignment 1



                                                    What Does a C.E.O Actually Do


      I chose to listen to a podcast episode called "What Does a C.E.O Actually Do?" from Freakonomics. The podcast generally discussed what makes a good C.E.O. and how people can even tell? They're paid a lot of money, but for what exactly? Also the podcast tried to understand their lives, their decisions, their successes and failures. The podcast asked such questions to very successful business people such as, Indraa Nooyi the C.E.O. of PepsiCo, Mark Zuckerberg the C.E.O. of Facebook, Satya Nadella the C.E.O. of Microsoft, and Jeff Sonnenfeld from the Yale school Management. The podcast says that some C.E.O.s look after the company as he/she looks after his/her family. For example, some C.E.O.s get out in the marketplace almost every week. Looking to see how the products of his/her company look on the shelf. Not from a C.E.O. lens, more from a consumer lens, because at the end C.E.O. is also a consumer, shopkeeper, a gatekeeper of his/her family. Then he/she get back to the company and talk to his/her employees about what it was good and what it was bad. Moreover, the podcast mentions that C.E.O.s now days work much harder than ever before and at the same time get paid much more also than ever before. 

I learned a lot of things about C.E.O.s from this podcast. First, I know now what a C.E.O.s actually do, they are responsible for leading the development and execution of the Company's long term strategy with a view to creating shareholder value. they act as a direct liaison between the Board and management of the Company and communicates to the Board on behalf of management.
Also, I learned that C.E.O.s are so important to any firm in the world, and sometimes a firm success can depend solely on C.E.O.s work and their management of the company. 
Furthermore, I learned that there are 10 different ways for C.E.O.s to be successful. They each work for a particular case study, different company different method of work. you cannot say there is a secret way or just one way to be a successful C.E.O. Sure, there are some people better than others but it’s so hard to tell what it is. Next, even though being C.E.O. is a horrible job, the amount of money they getting now is still huge. There are C.E.O.’s getting paid hundreds of millions. However, no one definitively could say if that’s too much or too little. Finally I learned that there are two types of C.E.O.’s. There’s the boring "normal" ones and the ones that take huge risks. At the beginning of their career, the normal ones walk slowly and they never make it to the top. However, the huge gambles, some of them win early on and get promoted. 

I think some of the ideas in the podcast related to our textbook especially in chapter 6 Managing for Business Success, and how C.E.O.s plan, organize, control and direct their companies. 
I remember in the class when Dr. Chung asked a question earlier in the semester: What does a C.E.O. do? and I we had some discussions about it. However, I remember that no one actually knew the right answer. So I was interested when I saw this podcast and to know a little more about C.E.O.'s job.   




My plan for upcoming assignments:

Assignment 2 - I plan to join the Business and Entrepreneurship Department's LinkedIn Group to help me find an upper-class or graduate business student to interview.


Assignment 3 - So this assignment is basically asking me to imagine myself as CEO, CFO, CIO in some company. I plan first to know exactly what these jobs are, then I will choose the one that interests me the most and do some research about it. Although I might choose CEO since I know a little more about it now after I finished my assignment 1.


For the next assignments I didn't really have enough time to look over them yet.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IA2: Find a role model

IA3: Creating a Personal Business Plan